Lava tutorial by Cubik
It's recommended that you have some experience with Texture Maker before
you try this tutorial since I won't explain exectly where to find every single button and option.
Note: Always reset the functions and generator to their defaults unless I have written
And don't use the images in this tutorial instead of following the instructions, they are pretty
heavily compressed and won't really work well.
1.Start a new texture, 512x512 pixles.
1.1 (Optional) Rename your texture to BumpTex (or something similar).
2. Choose Generator/Clouds, then load the Desert gradient and
apply the generator to your texture.
3. Now apply two Distortion/Gravimetric to your texture.
4. Next apply Plugins/CGrayScale to it.
5. Add five Color/Contrast to the texture.
5.1. Add a Color/Boost. Set it to boost on blue (Color Channels, check the
checkbox with the word blue over it).
5.2. Start Advanced Color and run it with these settings:
6. Make a clone of your texture by pressing ALT+INS (or going to the edit menu
and chose Clone from the options), rename it to LightTex and press the OPC button on this new
clone texture to use it as opacity texture.
7. The final step before we'll use the Advanced Shader (no big suprise I hope, the
texturenames should've given that away...) is adding a couple (4-6) Color/Brightness to your
LightTex texture. You want the grey sploches to be fairly bright, like this.
8. Start the Advanced Shader, and do the following:
1. Reset the Advanced Shader. Set the BumpTex as Heightmap.
2. Set LightTex as Surface Opacity map.
3. Set Surface Map to Color and chose pure black (0,0,0).
4. Set Floor Reflective map to pure red (255,0,0).
And for the rest, follow these settings:
For comments, critisism or tutorial requests, either email me at:
cubik83(AT)hotmail.com or go to www.texturemaker.com and post in the forum there.